Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pizza


Here is my healthy, tasty homemade pizza. Even though I don't put cheese or a substitute on it, it is still yum, my 23 month old loves it! I love the fried tofu on it too.

The dough recipe is a half proportion from the recipe in my bread machine book, but I add some dried basil to the mix.


Ass for toppings, the choice is yours. I usually use some tomato paste for the sauce base then add pineapple, onion, capsicum, mushrooms, olives, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and baby spinach as well as fried tofu (slice it, freeze it, defrost it, squash the liquid out, drizzle a little soy sauce on it, then fry in some oil til light golden brown!). I add a swirl of BBQ sauce to my husband's, and top them with a drizzle of olive oil.


Feel free to add something like cheesly to to top if you like.


It usually takes about 1/2 an hour on 180C to cook.

2 comments:

Bev's Place said...

Hi
I just found your blog from a link on The Vegetarian and Vegan Society of Queensland. I must say your recipes looks delish. I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years drinking regular cows milk in my tea and feasting almost daily on cheese. However, I've become ill with an underactive thyroid and uber high cholesterol. So, since then, I have thought about becoming a fully fledged vegan. I have cut out cheese and cows milk and of course anything that may have cream, sour cream, butter or eggs in it. I really want to try your recipes and I want to thank you for posting them. I really want to try tofu (I bought some SolCo tofu at the supermarket today) but I am a bit afraid as I've never had it or cooked with it before. Also, what brand of egg substitutes do you use? My hubby and son are meat eaters but I have already told them that we are going to eat more vegan food.

Thanks again, Bev

linnyleer said...

Hi Bev, sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thanks for your support.

I use Orgran egg replacer which can be found in the health food aisle of your supermarket.

As for tofu, I am only really getting into it myself. The internet is a wonderful resource for vegan food inspiration. When I buy firm tofu (I usually get it in bulk from an Asian grocer) I cut it up into meal size portions and freeze it. The freezing not only means it lasts longer, but actually gives it a better texture. The key with tofu is to realise that it works like a tasty sponge. It is important to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible after defrosting it. This then means when you marinade your tofu it can absorb all the flavours of your sauce. By preparing it properly it is very tasty and nutritious and not at all bland. Tofu can also be used as a dessert. My husband makes a tofu sold choc pudding using silken tofu.

I used to consume a lot of dairy too and found it very tricky to substitute, especially as I loved baking. But there is so much inspiration out there.

Good luck on your health endeavour.