Monday, February 15, 2010

Eggplant

I have to call it aubergine as my darling 3 year old daughter won't eat it because "we don't eat eggs. It's not nice to the chickens".

Anyhow, I had one in the fridge, still pondering what to do with it as I have only tried them once, and it was awful.

I discovered I forgot to do one simple thing - salting.

After slicing the aubergine (I did simple circles) it is vital to sprinkle some salt over the top of each piece and let them sit for about 1/2 an hour. This helps to remove the bitterness.

After doing this give them a good rinse to remove all the salt.

So what next? I kept the water on the slices and coated them in some seasoned flour then popped them into so hot oil and shallow fried them until golden on both sides. The result was amazing. Crunchy outsides soft melt in your mouth insides, and my girls loved them too. Always a bonus when kids eat something new. These would make a great change for a burger too.

No comments: